Start the year off right by following a to-do list.
Stay warm this month, by staying busy! Keep this January to-do list in mind this month.
- Keep your consultant informed as admissions decisions come in so you can respond appropriately to deferrals or other outcomes.
- Avoid senioritis by keeping your grades up and avoiding disciplinary issues.
- If you are admitted early and know you want to attend a particular college, put your housing deposit down as soon as possible to get the best residential choices.
- If you are applying for financial aid, make sure your parents have filed the FAFSA, and the CSS Profile if required. Pay attention to relevant scholarship deadlines for the colleges to which you applied.
- Make plans to complete virtual visits (online information sessions and tours) for the colleges on your list. Invite a parent to join you. The dates and times of tours and information sessions may be found on the admission page of the college website. Most require advance registration, so plan ahead.
- Most campuses offer in-person visits which can also be scheduled on the websites. If you are planning visits for the February school vacation, schedule now as those visits book up.
- Look for special opportunities such as chats with a student, or speak with representatives of an academic department of interest. You will learn more about the college and have a deeper understanding of what it offers.
- Your grades this year are very important. If necessary, meet with teachers to develop a plan for improvement such as extra help sessions or engaging a tutor.
- Prepare and register for standardized tests (SAT, ACT) if you are testing.
- Make plans for the summer (an on-site or virtual opportunity) such as a job, volunteer work, or an enrichment program. Let us know if you need ideas.