Chatbots, including ChatGPT, are artificial intelligence programs that are designed to mimic human conversation and can be used for a variety of purposes, including helping students with their writing. In this article, we will explore the pros and cons of using ChatGPT for high school student writing, as well as the ethics of using it for college essays.
Pros of using ChatGPT for high school student writing:
- Improved writing skills: ChatGPT can provide feedback on grammar, spelling, and punctuation, helping students to improve their overall writing skills. For example, if a student writes “I went to the store and baught milk,” ChatGPT could suggest “I went to the store and bought milk.”
- Increased efficiency: ChatGPT can save time for both students and teachers by providing instant feedback on writing assignments, allowing students to revise and submit their work more quickly. For example, if a student submits a paper to ChatGPT and receives feedback on grammar and spelling errors within a few minutes, they can revise and submit their paper much faster than if they had to wait for a teacher or tutor to review and provide feedback.
- Accessibility: ChatGPT is available online and can be accessed from any device with an internet connection, making it a convenient tool for students who may not have access to a writing tutor or teacher.
Cons of using ChatGPT for high school student writing:
- Limited feedback: While ChatGPT can provide feedback on basic grammar and spelling errors, it may not be able to provide in-depth feedback on the content and structure of a student’s writing. For example, ChatGPT may not be able to suggest ways to improve the organization of an essay or provide feedback on the development of ideas.
- Dependence on technology: Relying too heavily on ChatGPT may prevent students from developing their own writing skills and critical thinking abilities.
- Ethical concerns: Some people may have concerns about the ethics of using a chatbot to complete writing assignments, as it could be seen as cheating or misrepresenting the student’s own work.
Ethics of using ChatGPT for college essays:
Using ChatGPT or any other chatbot to complete college essays raises serious ethical concerns. Submitting a chatbot-written essay as your own work is dishonest and can have serious consequences, including academic penalties or even expulsion from school. It is important for students to understand the importance of honesty and integrity in academic work, and to avoid using chatbots or any other dishonest methods to complete their assignments.
The use of chatbots or other artificial intelligence programs to complete college essays carries the risk of detection by AI detection systems. Many colleges and universities have implemented AI detection software to identify plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty. These systems are designed to analyze the content and structure of a student’s writing and can often detect when a paper has been written by a chatbot or other AI program.
While ChatGPT and other chatbots can be useful tools for improving basic writing skills and increasing efficiency, they should not be used as a replacement for developing critical thinking and writing abilities. It is also important to consider the ethical implications of using chatbots for academic work and to always be honest and transparent about the sources of one’s work.
This article was written by ChatGPT with requested revisions and requests for examples by the Educational Advocates College Consulting Team.