Making the Most of High School
For Freshmen and Sophomores:
Most high school students understand the importance of doing well in school, but they don’t always take advantage of the resources and opportunities available to them. This should not be surprising—identifying goals and developing a plan to achieve them is a daunting task not only for teenagers, but also for many adults. Educational Advocates helps students become more invested in their own education. The idea is not to overwhelm students about the prospect of college, but rather to inform and empower them. We work with freshmen and sophomores to:
- Discuss short- and long-term goals and motivation.
- Identify potential obstacles and develop a plan of action.
- Conduct a preliminary educational interest and career assessment.
- Explain how to calculate their high school GPA and what it means.
- Review extracurricular offerings and summer plans according to interests.
- Discuss high school course offerings.
- Help students make a connection between their performance in high school and their future plans.