Friendly, Growing Educational Consulting Firm Seeks Dynamic College Consultant—Part-Time, Opportunities to Work Virtually and Flexibly!
Job Title: College Consultant
Date: September 2, 2021
Reports to: Joan Casey, President
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
The College Consultant is responsible for administering all aspects of the college search and admissions process in accordance with the service options for which the client has contracted. This includes helping students and families establish criteria for the college search, educating students and parents about colleges, the college admissions process, trends, procedures, and testing; advising and supporting clients and their families through the process; and helping students and families aspire realistically and choose wisely.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Researching (online, in guidebooks, using internal lists and discussing with colleagues and other methods) potential colleges in line with criteria established with the client and family and preparing a college list and criteria report.
- Hold regular meetings with students and at least three family meetings over the course of the working relationship in person or online depending on the family’s location and the nature of the agreement.
- Meets with juniors and seniors, and occasionally younger high school students individually to talk about opportunities in college today, individual college choices as well as course choices and extracurricular activities. Discussing student goals and aspirations for high school and college and how to achieve them in a healthy, balanced way. Maintain client records using a guidance portal, as well as up-to-date GPAs, reviews of transcripts, and test scores. Track any dramatic changes that require an adjustment of the college list or support for the student’s educational, learning or emotional needs.
- The college consultant (CC) will visit virtually and eventually in person to assess colleges, meet with admissions officers, athletic coaches, disability service coordinators and others as appropriate. The consultant writes a report on each college visited within two weeks of the visit.
- Responsible for teaching students how to research and evaluate colleges against their criteria using resources and tools.
- Will also help students understand which teachers are ideally suited to writing their recommendations and prepare them to ask the designated teachers. Provide a template for the student to create an activities sheet and/or resume (and assisting with that process) and reviewing any written information requested by the teachers relevant to the recommendation. Review student and parent information sheets before they are submitted to the student’s guidance office at school. Occasionally write a counselor recommendation for a GED or an international student as appropriate
- Will also prepare students for college visits, interviews and other important meetings. The CC will guide the student through the Educational Advocates essay/personal statement process beginning with helping the student identify topic ideas through revision and polish, in an ethical manner that ensures the work is the students.
- Responsible for proofing student applications and answering technical questions about applications submissions. The CC may need to advise on other tasks such as when to submit financial aid forms as well as financial statements for international students, athletic recruitment processes, and standardized test scores.
- Will advise about early action or early decision applications and, as needed, will factor cost and financial considerations into the college list. The CC will advise the student about their final college decision, interpreting financial aid and merit awards as necessary.
- Responsible for assisting students with the transition to college once they have decided where to matriculate.
- Responsible for maintaining and sharing information on colleges, college guides, scholarships, financial aid, and paying for college and collaborating on annual updating of college counseling information about the college search process.
- Will also contribute to the monthly newsletter, and blog and providing information for parents and students about test dates, local college events, and financial aid.
- Responsible for maintaining and being current in college consulting industry. To be aware of trends and be current in the field. Will make recommendations in terms of new techniques, ideas, etc.
- Assisting the president with new business development, which involves talking with prospective clients by phone, arranging and meeting with prospective students/parents. Also, participating in lead generating efforts such as speaking to parent and other groups, conducting webinars and assisting with marketing efforts through events, social media, newsletter and blog articles.
- Miscellaneous: Other duties may be assigned from time to time as needed
Qualifications: Necessary skills include excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational ability and the ability to meet deadlines. At least five years of experience in college admissions or high school college counseling are required. College-level advising and teaching experience are plusses.
Will possess strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills; familiarity with the goals, objectives, and mission of a college counseling office; the ability to respond effectively to the needs of a diverse and demanding student and parent population; knowledge of colleges, their academic programs, admission policies, and financial policies and procedures.
Education/Experience. A master’s degree or higher is preferred. Knowledge of learning differences and emotional issues and athletic recruitment is a plus.
Special Skills/Abilities: Experience, or, at minimum, the ability to write a monthly newsletter article, a blog post and communicate on social media is needed. Knowledge of online conferencing/connecting platforms or the ability to learn them is needed.
Language Ability: Excellent written and verbal communications is required.
Computer Skills: Proficiency with MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint are required. Ability to learn other software programs as needed is required.
Work Environment: The work is currently performed virtually.
Physical Demands: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary and benefits including a retirement plan with employer match.
Educational Advocates College Consulting is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to increase the diversity of our team and All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
This job profile identified the general duties and minimum level of skills required to perform this job. It is not intended to represent comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned. This job profile does NOT alter the at-will employment status and does NOT create an employment contract, implied or otherwise.