Friendly, Growing Educational Consulting Firm Seeks Dynamic College Consultant—Part-Time, Opportunities to Work Virtually and Flexibly!
Job Title: College Consultant
Reports To: President
Location: On-site office work and virtually at times
About You: You are creative, friendly and enjoy working on a team and interacting with our clients—young adults and their families. You have excellent listening and counseling skills, and the ability to show support and empathy. You work hard and get the job done with high standards, but appreciate being able to make your own hours and work virtually at times.
Description of Responsibilities
Educational Advocates College Consulting seeks a college consultant to work with a team of college consultants and writing specialists. The college consultant guides the student client and family through the college admissions process using initiative and sound judgment with the goal of helping the student find a number of colleges where they are likely to succeed, thrive, and be admitted and that their family can afford.
- Implement the Educational Advocates College Consulting curriculum with the ability to customize the services based on client need and your sound judgment.
- Hold individual parent and student meetings in person or online to identify family values around higher education, educate the student about college offerings and admissions practices, and help the student establish criteria to guide the college search.
- Research potential colleges in line with established criteria and create a list of college possibilities in conjunction with the student, teaching the student how to research and evaluate colleges.
- Hold regular meetings and at least three family meetings in person or online or conference call depending on the family’s location and the nature of the agreement.
- Guide students regarding high school course choices and extracurricular activities. Discuss student goals and aspirations for high school and college and how to achieve them in a healthy, balanced way.
- Regularly review GPAs, transcripts, and test scores, tracking any dramatic changes that require an adjustment of the college list or recommendations for support for the student’s educational, learning or emotional needs.
- Travel to visit and assess colleges, meeting with admissions officers, athletic coaches, disability service coordinators and others as appropriate.
- Prepare students for college visits, interviews and other important meetings.
- Guide the student through the essay/personal statement process in an ethical manner and the application review and submission process
- Contribute to the monthly newsletter
- Stay current in college consulting industry including understanding news, trends and attending at least one conference per year.
- Assist the president with new business development
- Other duties may be assigned from time to time as needed
Three to five years of college admissions, guidance counseling or commensurate experience required. Excellent communication skills (editing, proofreading writing and oral communication skills). Excellent organizational and planning skills, ability to demonstrate initiative, think creatively and problem solve.
Proficiency with online meeting platforms, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, familiarity with Macintosh computers.
A bachelor’s degree is required and a master’s degree preferred.
Attractive benefits including a retirement plan.
- Recruiters please don’t contact this job poster.
- Do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers